The different towns and villages in the Vall de Boí, with their corresponding administrative areas, have been documented since the 11th century. These communities were made up of peasant families who usually settled in high sunny locations, these were easier to defend and to take better advantage of their own and the common land, as well as access pastures higher up the mountains and in the forests.
Their homes were simple structures with one fireplace, often comprising of a single area shared by people and animals alike. If there was a second floor, it was used for sleeping and storing food and fodder.
Day to day life was ruled by the light of the sun and followed a cyclical conception of time. Work and holidays went hand in hand with the agricultural calendar. A large part of basic diet was made up of cereals, wine and apples.
Originally from the south of France, Ramon Guillem was the prior at Sant Sernin in Toulouse before Alfonso the Warrior appointed him bishop of Roda-Barbastro from where he carried out his pastoral duties intensively, particularly in terms of consecrating churches.
He was confessor to the King of Aragon and kept in close contact with the lords of Erill.
His trips to France and Italy put him in touch with the best artists of the time.
Originally from Erillcastell, their possessions extended along the valleys of Boí, Barravés, Llevata and Sas.
With Alfonso the Warrior, they took part in re-conquering Barbastro (1101), Tudela, Daroca and Zaragoza (1118), and Calatayud (1120) as well in repopulating new domains to the West (Alfarrás, Almenar, Fraga, etc..).
They promoted a large number of the churches of the Vall de Boí.